Marketing Your Website- Map Listings for Your Business
Adding your business to popular maps like Google Maps is not difficult and it can yield great results for your company. Having map listings for your business enables you to reach a wider audience and allows them to quickly locate you whenever they are in need of your products and/or services. For many local searches, Google displays map listings above the organic search results, as we wrote about in this post.
If you have a retail location like a restaurant or store, Google map listings are very important for mobile search. They'll appear when a user searches terms like "restaurant near me" on their phone, and the user can easily call or get directions to your business.
What happens if your business is not listed on directory maps? Not only will your customers have a hard time locating you, there will be loss in potential customers and sales.
If you are wondering how to add your business to Google Maps, here’s how.
Adding a Listing to Google Maps
Google provides the functionality to add your business location to its maps. It is done through an online tool known as Google My Business, which is a platform for managing your presence on Google’s different portals such as Google Maps, Google AdWords, Google+, and Google Analytics. Before proceeding, keep in mind that you can only add your business if you have a physical address that can be verified.
- Access the tool by navigating to Google My Business.
- Click on the tab ‘Get on Google’.
- A map of your city or town will be displayed.
- Type the name of your business in the search field.
- In some cases, your business might already be listed and you will just need to claim it. However, if it is not, you can add it to the map by clicking on ‘Add Your Business’.
- Supply basic information like your business’s name, address, phone number, and website. Remember to choose the correct category for the type of business you own. You'll want to answer as many questions as possible, like your hours. And if you have images upload those too. The goal is to make your listing as complete as possible.
- As the final step, you will have to verify your business through a PIN code. If your business address is not already verified, Google will mail a postcard with the PIN, and you'll receive that in 1 to 2 weeks. If your address is already verified you should be able to get the PIN by phone.
Benefits of Adding Your Listing
There are many advantages of adding your business to Google Maps. Some of them are:
- It enhances your online presence, and may increase your main business website’s ranking in Google’s search results. A higher ranking in search results means more traffic for your website.
- Your customers and potential customers will be able to find you easily and reach your premises, as well as getting important information like your business hours.
- It improves customer satisfaction by providing all the important information about your business on a single platform.
- Your product or services can be reviewed by customers and potential customers can read them as well. Whenever someone leave a new review, you'll get an email notification.
- Google Maps is used heavily on Android and iOS devices, so mobile users will be able to search for your business and its products or services 24/7.
Previous Article- Marketing Your Website- Paid Online Advertising: A Beginner’s Guide
Next Article- Marketing Your Website – Review sites like Yelp and Zomato